Monday, January 04, 2010

Christmas/New Years Update

Yeah…I know. New Years and Christmas have long past. I did not update my blog because of two reasons. Firstly, I was lazy and procrastinated. Secondly, I went for a trip to Ottawa and Montreal. I was away from my computer for 6 days because of the trip. So now, let me present to you the long overdue update. Haha.

It has been an interesting year for me. The main event for the year 2009 was my departure to Canada for further studies. And yes, I am still in Canada. :p What can I say about this major change? Indeed, many events seemed to push me into this direction. For some, they say that this is a sign from God for me to go into this direction. I tend to believe that since it was no mere coincidence that the application to Canada and to the University of Waterloo was smoothly done whereas applications to universities in Malaysia and USA ran aground. But sometimes I ask: was my decision to rash? Did I make a mistake in taking this risk? After talking with people and thinking about it, I realized that there was no turning back. The chess pieces have been moved. So, I just have to do my best and face the challenges as they come but at the same time to enjoy the opportunity of actually being able to study overseas. Even if I do encounter tight spots on the chess board, I have to make the best decision I know of for that situation.

You may be wondering why such thoughts come to mind. The style of studying and testing is so much different from what I am used to in Malaysia. The final exams were shockingly different and difficult. And indeed, I have a pressure set on me by myself: the pressure to succeed. As I mentioned before, the endeavor of going to Canada to study has a lot of risk. Failure seems out of the question. It is in this atmosphere and environment where I understand what it means to depend on God and to trust in Him. The choice to go to Canada was mine to make and I chose this path. But regardless of the path I chose, the LORD is ultimately still in control. What lies ahead of me? I do not know. How would he use me in this place? I have not a clue. I am away from all things familiar to me: family, friends, church, food, weather, etc. The one thing that has not changed the slightest is that God has never left my side. Whether I am in Malaysia or in Canada, the LORD is always with me, never-changing, never-failing.

Today (4th Jan 2010) marks the start of the new Winter 2010 semester, my second semester in the University of Waterloo. I plan to study not only harder but smarter than the previous semester. Knowing better how they do things around here, I can adapt my study habits to match their style. By the way, the Malaysian style of studying is not effective here.

I’ll stop here for now. I try not to bore all of you with endless walls of text. Haha. I will post any more thoughts in Part 2. Hehe.

Soli Deo Gloria.

Ian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

I am created unique by God. I am God's child. God is my Father. A sinner but saved by the grace and mercy of God through the faith that he has given me.

Powered by Blogger