Monday, November 02, 2009

I am a Friend of God? Part 2

Yeah..it is called part 2 because I wrote something about this quite some time back. I have been thinking about the phrase “I am a friend of God” for awhile now. As I recall the Scriptures I read, I can recall very few verses that relate to that theme that applies to us.

Wait, Ian. Isn’t there that verse in John where Jesus tells his disciples
“14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” (John 15:14-15)?

Yes. I don’t deny that the verse does exist. However, look it in context. The disciples were with Jesus for 3 years into his ministry. They ate and drank together. Wherever Jesus went, they went. They witnessed his power. They had the privilege of Jesus explaining meaning of parables to them. Sometimes they vexed Jesus. They rejoiced together. After going through all that, surely they would form a bond beyond servant/disciple and master. They knew Jesus intimately. Therefore, it was appropriate for Jesus to call them his friends.

Though verse 14 could be used as an extrapolation, but simply plucking a verse out like this is not appropriate. In verse 14, Jesus was referring to his disciples, that if they do his commands, which are stated in the previous verses, they are really his friends.

Furthermore, instances in the Bible where individuals were labelled as friends of God, the pronouncement was made by God Himself. Take Moses for example. God himself said that Moses is his friend and with Moses God speaks face to face. Moses did not confer that title on himself. Coupled with the pronouncement of Jesus to his disciples as highlighted above, we can see that only God bestows the privilege of being called a friend of God.

In addition, by calling myself a friend of God, it would seem that I am placing myself on a nearer level to God than I ought. There is that tinge of pride, proud of wanting to be on a nearer level to God. It could be the same pride that Lucifer had when he met his downfall. For Lucifer said
13 You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.
14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High." (Isaiah 14:13-14)


However, it is good to note that we can call ourselves friends of God but by a different definition of ‘friend’. Jesus died on the cross for our sins and rose again as proof of his finished work. Those who believe in him are no longer condemned but made peace with God. In this sense, we are no longer God’s enemies. Thus, we become his friend in the sense that we are no longer his enemies.

You all might be think “Blasphemy!” However, let me say that God has conferred a title on us that implies a relationship that far surpasses any level of friendship. He urged us to call Him “Abba, Father”. By believing in Jesus, it is written that we are given the right to become children of God. We are God’s child! How cool is that?? Isn’t that a more intimate, more reassuring relationship? Yet, it still puts us in our place, we are the children and God is the Father. Children are called to obey their parents. Children are helpless but they depend on their parents to fend for them. Isn’t that wonderful?

Remember John 15:14? There is a verse that is very similar to it but implies something else to all believers. This is what Luke 8:19-21 says:
19Now Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd. 20Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you."
21He replied, "My mother and brothers are those who hear God's word and put it into practice."


Similar, right? Both issue a command to obey. But the latter is a better context for believers at large than the former.

After all I said above, for me, I would be careful of calling myself a 'buddy' friend of God. Look at Moses and his relationship with God. He spent so much time with God. Like i wrote in the previous post before, to call oneself a friend of God is a bold statement since Jesus said that we are friends, IF we do what he commands. Do we do his commands always? compared with the characters in the Bible, at least for me, i don't think i match up. though i will say that i am no longer an enemy of God because of what Christ has done.

Just my two cents of thoughts. Feel free to comment. :P Haven't done this in awhile. :P

Soli Deo Gloria!
Ian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

I am created unique by God. I am God's child. God is my Father. A sinner but saved by the grace and mercy of God through the faith that he has given me.

Powered by Blogger