Saturday, September 12, 2009

Prelude: Canada Part 1

This is going to be a long post so i am splitting it in two. hehe.

Hi all! Greetings from the Red Maple leaf land: Canada. :P I have been in Canada in for about a week now and I can say it is an exciting yet nervous adventure.
All the while, people say to me, “Wow. You are going to Canada? Very cold leh...”. And I found out they were not kidding. It really is cold here. And guess what...it is still autumn! I don’t know how to survive winter. Would be an interesting adventure, eh? I have my warm clothes all ready. Now just have to gain some fats for insulation.

I am attending University of Waterloo and the campus is huge. Huge I mean HUGE!! Heck, me and my friends need a map just to find our way around. They have a thing for abbreviations. Names of buildings such as William Tatham Center become TC and so on. Kind of cool but you have others such as DC, MC, SLC, etc. So...yeah...it can get a bit confusing.

The university offers many services to students and one of them that appeals to me the most is the student ID or known here as WatCard. You may be saying, “Haah..? Student ID only what...can do what o?” Hoho. It is much more than just an ID for university. First, with the WatCard, I get to travel on the local bus routes for absolutely free. And the bus routes are long, spanning whole of Waterloo town and nearby Kitchener town. And the buses arrive on time.

Secondly, it is a debit card. I can load some money inside and it is credited to my card. I can then use the card to pay for food at food shops in the university grounds. All they do is swipe the card and the cost of the food is deducted from my preloaded value. Neat, huh? Thirdly, it is used in borrowing books as well. They just scan the card and I am done. They don’t chop or write anything...just scan and go. Coolness.

How about my spiritual journey here? Well...I haven’t met up with the Christian fellowships yet. I will be going for the universities club and societies day to find out more. But I have met up with a group of Christians working to help international students adjust to Canadian life. One of them is taking me to church this Sunday. So, I have yet to see how the churches are here in Canada.

1 Comments:

Blogger -Δορκας- said...

Hey! Glad you got to Canada safely. Interesting post... About the student ID, we have the same thing here. Ours is called Liberty OneCard. It has the same function too: bus, food, library, debit card, ATM, everything! haha...

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

I am created unique by God. I am God's child. God is my Father. A sinner but saved by the grace and mercy of God through the faith that he has given me.

Powered by Blogger