Saturday, August 30, 2008

Church Buildings....extended version (Part 3)

Another argument is that the church needs space. It actually is a valid reason but a simple upgrade or a simple extension will not run into the hundred thousands or the millions. They just take that reason and turn it into an excuse to build a larger and grander building. In my opinion, this lack of space issue has been overused. Sometimes, all it needs is to hold more services if services seem to be getting crowded. They will then say it’s not convenient. May I ask since when worshipping God was ever a convenience? If it were, honestly, I would rather sleep in on a Sunday morning and relax on a Sunday evening (evening service). We sing about surrendering everything to God when we can’t even sacrifice about 2 hours maximum of a Sunday to worship God? How hypocritical! Some might say, “But that time I have to go hang out with friends” or “I have to spend time with my family”. So, are you saying friends and family are more important than God? Didn’t Jesus say that anyone who doesn’t hate his family is not worthy of Him? Am I saying we should literally hate our family? Of course not! Jesus is saying that our love for God should be so great that our love for family and friends seem pale in comparison; so pale that it seems like hate.

I have quoted quite a lot of verses from Hebrews 10 and 11. As I was reading, I realized one thing odd. When the writer compares copy and the reality, he compares it with the tabernacle NOT the temple! I find this odd because the temple was already built and it was grander; a sort of and upgrade of the tabernacle. The tabernacle was just a large tent sewn together and could be repacked. Then I realized a possible reason. As stated earlier, the temple was not God’s idea but King David’s. But, the tabernacle was God’s idea! He was the one who gave such detailed instructions to the Israelites on how to build it and what materials to use (Exodus 25 focus on verse 8). When God revealed to David through Nathan, God did not give any instructions or talk much about the temple (2 Samuel 7).

There is a hymn in the United Methodist Hymnal titled “Rise Up, O Men of God”. The first verse goes like this:

Rise up, O men of God,
Have done with lesser things.
Give heart and mind and soul and strength,
To serve the King of Kings.

Let us have done with lesser things. Let us give our all to serve and love God. Let us strive to conform to the image of Christ which is God’s will for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Let us not focus on relatively trivial things like a bigger and grander church building. It is not Scriptural nor is it necessary.

END
********************************************
Since this appears as the top post, refer first to "Church Buildings....extended version (Part 1)"
Have any comments or if I made a mistake anywhere, please post yah...I know its kinda long. Sorry...>.< I used word count and got about 1800 words. :P

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Sam said...

Hey Ian. Nice. I like it. Very interesting.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

I am created unique by God. I am God's child. God is my Father. A sinner but saved by the grace and mercy of God through the faith that he has given me.

Powered by Blogger